Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Our daily bread

It is not a quick trip to the local grocery store when we want to buy food here. This morning I took my three kids up to our local street vendors to buy bread for the orphanage, thank you to Jenni for the donation, I will use it buy food for the Good Rest kids! It is a hot and dusty walk, motorcycles and box trucks whizzing by so closely that we could reach out and touch someone, and not in a good way!

Our street: Lilavoix
Once we get to the little ladies selling fruit, candies, bread, and sometimes eggs or chicken, we buy two packages of bread. The bread is soft and delicious, but does not save well in this heat, you have to eat it the day you buy it. There were no eggs or chicken this morning, maybe tomorrow! Local children come crowding in, calling out, "Blan! Blan!" Some follow that up with smiles, others with rude comments that need no translation. My kids bear it well, mostly ignoring the attention. When I asked our bread lady if I could take her picture, she was happy to say yes, and the lady next to her selling plantains also wanted her picture taken!


Where we buy our bread every morning.
She is a fun character, she always has a smile for us.
We made it back home safely! I am going to make peanut butter sandwiches for my kids then we will head over to Good Rest. Carl has been over there and dealing with a situation since 8:15 this morning. We are excited to see Robert Lewison today, I hope his flight went well and that he arrived safely. I will try to take pictures of our second "family dinner" night tonight, we are looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment