Thursday, December 13, 2012

Merry Christmas to all

Merry Christmas!
Hello friends!

I wanted to share with you a few thoughts as I am here in Texas helping my sister with her newborn twins.

The most wonderful thing we have learned on this journey is that we can be a happy family in almost any circumstances, whether or not we are living comfortably in the nice Southern CA home that we own, living in poverty in a small rental house in Haiti with inconsistent water and electricity, or temporarily living with a stranger (now friend!) in two rented rooms in Texas.

Our journey has been very different than we originally planned. We have learned that everything in Haiti has its own timing. We have learned how to live without most of the conveniences that we were used to as Americans. We have also learned how very complicated the situation is with orphans in Haiti, and how the most important thing is to try to keep families together, not to put more "orphans" in orphanages.

Carl has been working hard with Operation Blessing in Haiti to help with their fish farm, and we are so thankful that this opportunity was given to him so that we could be more self-sufficient financially. Life in Haiti is very expensive, especially food. We had many days when the contents of our care packages were the only things we had to eat!

We will all be back in Haiti at the beginning of January, and I am already starting to plan: what things will I be able to accomplish in the second half of our trip? Silly me. I need to remember the biggest lesson Haiti has taught me: it is not my plan, but God's plan that matters. It is not what I can do in Haiti, but what the kids of Good Rest can do for themselves to give themselves a future. Thank you all for your support and kind words  that have made all of this possible.

Merry Christmas to all, I hope that your holidays are filled with love and peace.

The Fielstras

No comments:

Post a Comment