Thursday, October 17, 2013

Back to life... back to reality...

I am sorry that it has been so long since our last post.

A quick update:

Our kids are in school and preschool and doing well!

We are trying to slowly but surely understand how we can continue, even from a distance, to help the kids that we grew to love in Haiti. Leaving them behind has been a painful experience. Coming back to electricity and a comfortable, easy life has been very hard. At night, we talk as a family about the hurricanes, hunger cries, and voodoo drums we heard.

By day, we wonder, should we have tried harder to bring some kids back and raise them as our own children?

Is international adoption the answer for many of the children we cared about? It is a hard question to answer. The children at our orphanage had parents who abandoned them for many different reasons, yet, they still loved their parents and felt connected to them.

http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-ongoing-adoption-ethics-discussion.html

I respect what the Livesays have to say about international adoption. I respect the culture and values of the children we left behind in Haiti after learning to love them.

I find myself at a quiet, unprepared moment, walking into my kitchen, or to the park, or into a grocery store, STOPping. I think about the lives of the children I left behind in Haiti. Clara, Clarence, Daphne, so many, many kids that I loved, I weep for them. I know that bringing them all home with me was not a solution or even an option, but it was what my heart wanted, and the sadness of leaving the kids behind has kept me from posting on this blog, from breathing too deeply, and even from fully unpacking my boxes in my home.

I will always have a heart and love for the people of Haiti. I hope that real change can come to the country and I honor those that I met who are trying to help the people of Haiti elevate themselves and their homeland.

Haiti, you will always be in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. A watershed time in your and our lives.

    Curious to know if your heart still yurns and the voices call out?

    ReplyDelete