Wednesday, August 8, 2012

For the love of learning...

I have to be honest, I was REALLY nervous about today. In fact, I put off starting our English class from last week and almost cancelled it. I spent a few desperate minutes hoping that a terrible storm would come and make it impossible to start my class. I considered postponing for no reason, pretending to be sick, and just plain hiding out in the hills. Basically I was like every other teacher that I know across the globe on the day that we have to start classes.



It went great! I mean: we all had fun, the kids/young adults participated in the activities that I had planned, and I learned more than I had to offer them. I always love to learn from my students, it's the best part about being a teacher. I spent days agonizing over how to get kids to participate in activities and do written work when I don't speak their language and I had no idea if anyone would come, and if they did, they could have been anywhere between ages 2-32. It is a testament solely to the awesomeness of the kids here at Good Rest that so many of them came. They all had smiles. They all wanted to learn English. They all wanted to teach us Creole and laugh with us, not at us, as we learned together.

CJ was a great helper!

All of these kids could have been playing soccer, sleeping, or doing anything they wanted, yet here they voluntarily sit, trying to learn English. It is so humbling to see their love of learning!

There was a tense moment. One of the kids was penciling something onto the back of the bench in front of him. My teacher-senses were tingling (these are much like spidey-senses, but I can't shoot webs and I am terrified of heights.) In seven years of teaching at California public high schools, I have seen A LOT of horrifying things scribbled onto desks and chairs, but when I checked on him, this sweet kid was drawing a heart and wrote "We love God" in the middle of it. I couldn't help but smile. What a blessing these kids are!

No comments:

Post a Comment