Friday, September 28, 2012

Three months!



Tomorrow when we wake up in Haiti we will have been here three months! It is hard to believe how different our lives are now. We have done a great deal of adjusting to the culture change, it feels more like home here now. While I am sure that we still do things that must look crazy to our neighbors, at least we now can apologize in Creole! :)

It has either cooled down a bit or our bodies have adjusted to the heat, we are much happier when we aren’t waking up at night and toweling sweat off ourselves and our kids to keep them cool.

We have figured out how to use our oven without blowing up the house and can even make cookies!

Homeschooling is a delight… I love watching my kids get excited about learning new things.

I love making Haitian food and had rice with avocados on top for lunch today. I also enjoy cooking the red sauce that they use with rice and beans. My favorite thing that I learned is how to make fresh passion fruit juice. It is delicious!

We have learned many things about the Haitians around us, but the most important thing that we have learned is respect. I deeply respect their ability to love God and how dedicated they are to their faith.  I respect the mothers who care for their infants in this dusty city. I respect the men and women who work harder than I have ever had to work, carrying huge heavy bins on their heads, pushing carts, toiling in the fields.

Thank you Haiti for welcoming us for these three months. It has been a time of learning for us and I can't wait to see what we will learn next (though I hope for a few less lessons on patience and a few more yummy cooking recipes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment