Monday, October 22, 2012

Confession

OK, I admit it, I am homesick. We had no power the last two nights and that makes for hot sticky pillows and closed-eye desperation of hoping for a breeze. Without good sleep, life becomes a bit blurry for me, it takes me longer to process what I hear ("Mom, can I go outside and play in the old well?" "Hmm... what... sure. No wait. No. Bad idea, kid.")

Last night I struggled with my asthma as well as the heat. Our neighbors seem to have an endless supply of tires and other rubber that they burn right next our wall, the smoke drifts into our bedroom window and chokes us while we try to sleep.


I almost admitted that I was homesick last week when Carl brought us this bag of oranges and I could barely keep from bursting into tears. I may have spent a little too much time holding the poor bag, wondering about its own journey from California to Haiti.

So it's Monday morning in Haiti.

I will try not to think of all the friends, family, and places that I miss back in the States. I will instead focus on the joy of spending the day with my children, and the simple goodness of a ripe Haitian avocado.

Have a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment