Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thinking about this huge change has me feeling nervous!

I can't believe it has been less than a week since we met with Robert and staff from Children's Heritage Foundation. We really want to help the children of the world, but now the reality is crashing around me as I think about the logistics of giving up our comfortable, easy Southern Californian lives. My biggest concern is that my kids will get sick or be hurt. I have to trust that they will be fine. I hope that they will learn that life can be celebrated and lived differently. I hope they learn that possessions are not what makes life beautiful. I hope they become better and wiser people without feeling bitterness or regret.

I can't believe how many doors are opening for us. I keep waiting for someone to tell us a big NO. My leave of absence form will be accepted by my school district. We are waiting to find out about Carl's leave of absence. Carl will be going to Haiti March 2nd to check out the area we will be living in. I am excited and nervous for him. The only other obstacle in our way is finding sponsors. I know that I would sponsor someone who wanted to do something as bold and giving as move their family to a third world country to help rebuild an orphanage, but I am afraid no one will want to support us and that we will be a burden to the company.

If all this works out, then we need to find renters for our house. I love our house so much, we saved and waited for almost 5 years in order to time the market and buy it. I should be planting our vegetable garden right now, instead I am trying to save all my money for the things we will need to take with us! My garden is one of the things I will miss the most. I know that moving to Haiti and helping to rebuild this orphanage is my life dream, but dreaming about giving up everything we own for altruistic reasons and actually giving up everything we own are two very different things. Carl keeps reminding me that if this is truly what we are meant to do with the next year of our lives, then everything will work out. I believe him, he has always seen the world differently than me, he has always been a more confident, positive person, and I have to trust him and God that this is going to work out.

Krystal

1 comment:

  1. The only reason why I wouldn't want you guys to do this is for my own personal reasons of not being able to see you and your family anytime I want to drive to Temecula. :-) But, we all know it's not about me and it's really not about you guys, it's about all those wonderful children that you will be helping in another country that don't even have the clean water that we Americans have the luxury of being able to drink daily! I think this is a wonderful, exciting experience for everyone involved!! You and Carl can have the experience of helping people that you don;t even know and seeing it right before your eyes, the transformations that you will be providing and the feeling in you hearts to know you are doing the right thing! Your children have this once in a lifetime experience that they will remember forever, have the joy of knowing what they are doing and why, and most of all see their mommy and daddy doing the best that they could to improve other peoples lives that need it the most!! They will love you and look up to you two forever for that!! I think this is an amazing idea, and opportunity and I admire you guys for taking this step and doing what you two have a calling for! We love you all and back you 100 percent!! And always remember, a year is only a year. They fly by and will be here and gone before you know it!! Take lots of pictures and remember this forever! Michele Bullock

    ReplyDelete