Saturday, March 17, 2012

That old couch


We are beginning the process of going through everything we own and putting it up for sale! We will save a few things in storage, but space will be limited so only the most important possessions will escape this culling. It really puts life into perspective. So many of the things that we NEEDED just weeks ago we no longer even want. For example, I spent most of last fall fruitlessly obsessed with finding a new, better couch for our living room. Our current couch is too small for the space and is seven years old. Seven years filled with leaking sippy cups, kids jumping on and off, and popcorn kernels, legos, and pennies nestling in the spaces between cushions. Now, I am feeling nostalgic. I don’t want to sell our dingy old couch. It may end up being one of the few things we keep in storage. I held all of my children as newborns on that couch. I have cuddled with my sick kids, watched countless movies with my husband, and talked to all my friends and family while sitting on that couch.

Yesterday we met with local realtors to plan on renting out our house. Today we sold our trailer. The largest material acquisitions of our marriage pass from our hands to others, and I am not sad. I even rejoice. Look! We can do this, we can give up our lives and move to a faraway island that I have never seen, to help children that I have never met. Yet, I feel that selling that old couch will be too much for me.

July 2004 - holding CJ at two days old, sitting on our new couch

No comments:

Post a Comment